Monday 18 July 2011

The many balances of life

At present I have a life-changing conundrum to consider.
Here's the situation; at present I have a terrible, soul-polluting, go nowhere, mind-rotting succubus of a job. On the plus side outside of work my life is pretty sweet, I have a great girlfriend, a home I enjoy living in, fantastic friends and I am able to pursue the hobbies that I enjoy.
After many job applications its looking like I might have to move in order to get a decent job. This would mean giving up living with my girlfriend in our own place and moving in with my parents. She would remain where we are now as she has a job she has wanted for years secured. I would be 3 hours at the other end of the country and although we would probably see each other every 2 week or so it would still be fucking soul-destroying.
How dominant should our careers be in our lives? It's not as if I would be moving for a 'dream job' but rather one that would make me not want to stab myself in the face with a blunt pair of scissors everyday, which I guess is most people's experience of a good job. I would be losing all that makes my life enjoyable, at present, just for the chance to do something I wouldn't mind doing rather than doing something that I have craved doing for years.
As much as this sounds like pointless pontification I am a pragmatist. I understand that in this world you have to look after yourself as there is no one who is going to doing for you and I do need to get a decent job with a future. Should this be the #1 priority in my life? Should I give up everything that is good in my life to pursue a job that I only do in order to live and allow me to enjoy the 2 days a week I don't have to work?
Fuck! Life can really be a cunty mistress at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment